Lately I have had many questions about how to create a lasting relationship. Several years ago I wrote an article outlining some exercises you can cultivate to attract the relationship you are looking for.
Ten Principles of Sacred Relationships
1. Unselfishness and selflessness—Consciously put your loved one at the center of your heart and cultivate awareness of his/her needs. But don’t go overboard; remember to also take care of yourself.
2. Generosity—Give of yourself, sharing time, things, and emotions.
3. Acceptance—Commit yourself to patience, forbearance, tolerance, and accepting your mate not as a fantasy object—but a real person.
4. Respect—Your mate is a gateway to God and so deserves your respect, trust and support.
5. Honesty—the hard work of communication, revealing yourself, truth-telling, listening (these are big practices)—all lead to authenticity.
6. Empathy—Genuine love involves working hard to understand, and share, the feelings of your loved one and to offer compassion and caring even for feelings you don’t “get”.
7. Play—Don’t take your love or yourself so seriously. Remember to leave room for fun, whimsy, joy and meaninglessness too.
8. Passion—True passion is not the romantic fascination we associate with teenage crushes; it’s a deep wonderment and interest in the other.
9. Mystery—Being open to not knowing, to not having it all worked out, to the discovery of being together.
10. Mission—Strengthen your bond by having some shared mission, purpose, direction.
I love summer here in buddhifull New England, with all its abundant greenery, outdoor sports, beaches and other getaways. Yet while I am trying my best to slow down the pace and enjoy the natural abundance...
The search for God, peace, love or enlightenment may be a serious business, but we have to lighten up as well as enlighten up along this great way of awakening. Joy is an important part of life and necessary...