I just returned from our 24th annual summer weeklong Dzogchen retreat, held again on the Hudson River bank in Garrison, NY, where hundreds of acres have been reserved in their sylvan beauty and natural grace. We meditators rejoiced in and enjoyed the delightful presence of so many different kinds and types of people---- colors, professions, ages, genders, nationalities; for all breeds and all creeds are heartily welcomed at our Dharma Dog-House! Bow wow! Along with all variety of characters, Paris-based singer-songwriter Ben Beirs, a long time Dzogchen student, played classical guitar on two evenings...
Lama Surya's "Awakening Now" Podcast Ep. 42 - "Enlightening Up" with Pete Holmes
Comedian, Pete Holmes, joins Lama Surya Das live on stage for conversation around comedy, consciousness, and “enlightening up” by lightening our hearts.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." And so, here we are, living in volatile times, even capable of eradicating ourselves from the face of the planet. If we are paying attention, days like these can provide us with a genuine learning opportunity for conscious evolution and enhancing our discernment, combined with a heartfelt need to build community for solace in kindred spirits and meaningful connection.
To help muster the energy required to face the challenges of our complex world, I rely on what Buddhist activists call
The Three Freedoms:
Freedom from undue...
1) Rest in the breath while letting go of all thoughts, concerns, plans, worries, and preoccupations.
2) Be mindful of the physical sensations you feel right now.
3) Feel the good earth beneath your feet or the seat that cradles you.
4) Chant a mantra or sacred phrase again and again, with pure, undivided concentration and focus.
5) Make eye contact with another being, and feel compassion and loving-kindness for whomever you are with.
6) Smile at someone, hug someone, or help someone
7) Go outside and make contact with nature through the sky, clouds, trees, a flower, a body of water,...
Lama Surya’s “Awakening Now” Podcast- EP 41
Final episode of the IV Part series on “Awakening The Buddha Within”
"The Six Kinds of Mindfulness"
Lama Surya Das introduces the six kinds of mindfulness in Tibetan Buddhism. These forms are about developing mindfulness practically. Surya explores being mindful of the path; of the bigger picture in life; mindfulness of awareness; of the teachings that you have received; of community; and recollection of the source of all radiance, from which everything originates.